Thursday, September 29, 2011

Postcards from the Vatican, remarks by Christopher Corbally

Postcards from the Vatican

So Jeannette kept a number of the postcards that I sent her while on my
summer travels – how lovely to know this! The cards helped confirm the
dates of my stay with her before I headed for the IRAS conferences on
Star Island. But they had a mischievous element since, when I wrote
them, I was often at the Vatican Observatory’s headquarters in Castel
Gandolfo and so could find a picture with a Papal theme to grace
Jeannette’s home. That a Jesuit priest in the Pope’s service could have
such a deep friendship with so solid a Unitarian might be one of the
world’s wonders, but on reflection it is not so surprising. Jeannette
was devoted to the truth in whatever form it can be found, and this was
the basis of our conversations which I shall always treasure. Yes,
Jeannette’s large spirit lives on in all of us who knew and continue to
love her dearly.

Christopher Corbally, S.J.
Vice Director
Vatican Observatory





Here's a photo of Jeannette and Chris Corbally as he was on his way to or from Star Island.  

No comments:

Post a Comment