Friday, September 9, 2011

Letter from Author Eugene Genovese

September 4, 2011

Jeannette was the greatest editor I ever met or hoped to meet.   I thought  I wrote well, at least for a historian, but she taught me more about English than even Miss Omelia, my grammar school teacher, who was  almost as cantankerous, no nonsense and withering in her criticism as J. herself.
We argued a lot.  Usually she won, even if she were wrong.  I somehow doubt that anyone won an argument with J.  My first beating occurred when she became editor of my book Roll Jordon Roll and suggested that we have a get acquainted lunch.  I immediately sized her up as a formidable woman I did not want for an enemy.  Then she dropped the hammer.  She insisted on paying for lunch.  I was appalled and tried to argue.  No woman had ever picked up the check for me.  I stood  on my male prerogatives, my adherence to the chivalrous code and on the proper order of the universe.    Jeannette who  knew I was a Marxist, harrumphed “You men are all alike.  You are my guest.  Get used to it.”
I thought this partnership wouldn’t work.  We’ll be at each other’s throats over every page I write.   And indeed we often argued, not only about the book but about politics and religion.  What could I do.  How do you out argue Jeannette?
Jeannette was a great editor for a reason that transcended her extraordinary skills.  What drew me to her especially, what made it easy to accept her in your face toughness was her integrity.  Her integrity manifested itself in an admirable ability to concede your premises and then make sure your argument flowed logically from those premises and that you put forth evidence.
She often disagreed with my premises and my politics.  I was well to her left in my early days and to her right in my later years.  When I returned to the Catholic church, she received the news graciously, but I could imagine her saying sotte voce, of course you’re wrong as usual.   But never did our disagreements weaken our mutual respect and affection.   And now I finally win the biggest of all battles.  I can easily imagine her mashing her teeth when she hears that I am praying to my triune god to have mercy on a great woman, even as a Unitarian, and to welcome her into the kingdom of heaven.
The father, the son, the holy ghost and the blessed mother will not have an easy time arguing with her, but in the deepest recess of my heart, I know they will find some way to cope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment