Friday, September 9, 2011

Letter from author Claire Lyu

Remarks of Claire Lyu, author of A Sun within a Sun: the Power and Elegance of Poetry- (2006, University of Pittsburgh Press). 

In gratitude to Jeannette Hopkins

-- Jeannette Hopkins has held every single page, and more, being with me every step of the way.  Without her clarity, exactitude, and generosity, this book simply would not be.  I thank her for seeing the book I was yet to write and for helping me see it myself and bring it into being for others to see.

I had written these words in 2006 in the acknowledgment of my book and feel that they resonate as true as ever now.  Back then, there was no doubt that I was going to work with Jeannette on my second book; now I know that I won't be doing so.  But when I think of it, what she has taught me continues to live in me, so I have been, and will be, writing with Jeannette always.  She has opened the possibility of writing the best book I possibly could as first time author racing with the tenure clock.  

Fearless writing -- in the sense of not compromising with external pressure, staying true to the thoughts and words that arise, writing the book that wants to be written -- this is what Jeannette taught me.  It is the best gift any writer could ever hope for.

Thank you so much Jeannette.  I love you.

Claire 
(I received tenure in the French Department at the University of Virginia in 2005 thanks to the book which I worked on with Jeanette and which came out in 2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment